Call for proposal 2016 Execution: 2016 - 2018
The project consists of applying game techniques in non-game environments. It is the utilization of game dynamics in non-game environments in order to enhance motivation, concentration, effort, loyalty and other positive values common to all games. Thus, it is a powerful tool within non-formal education, related to young people and that can be applied in different environments.
The main objective of the project is the training of youth workers in non-formal education tools, specifically in Gamification. In addition, the project has the following specific objectives:
Training of Youth workers on the benefits and tools of Non-Formal Education, and specifically on GAMIFICATION.
Creation of an ON-LINE GUIDE on Resources and Applications, aimed at youth organisations, educational centers, local corporations, and, in general, for workers in the youth field.
To promote GAMIFICATION as a Non-Formal Education tool in youth organisations or entities working with young people, both in the public and private sectors.
To promote among young people the use of ICT for their future personal and professional development.
To promote cooperation between public administration, associations, companies and educational centres at the national and European levels.
To share the good practices developed among the partners and participating countries.
To disseminate the results and tools among professionals in the youth field.
The main activities that have been carried out are:
E-learning training course for professionals and youth workers in gamification and non-formal education.
E-learning training course for young people in the creation of an application for mobile phones.
Drafting of an online methodological guide on non-formal education and gamification aimed at professionals and youth workers.
Event to promote the results of the project.
The most important result of this project has been the active participation of young people, who have completed several projects in the different participating countries.
In the case of Spain, five projects have been developed:
1) Programming Our Games consists of a system that increases children's motivation to learn, while they acquire programming skills through technological challenges that consist of programming their own games. It is being implemented since October 2017 with the children and young people, who participate in the CoderDojo Valencia programming club.
2) Space Mathematics is a game in which students must learn mathematics to advance in the game. Each daily exercise gives them points and "weapons" to afford the exams that will be the great enemy. If they beat their enemies, they will achieve their goals and get good results. The main objective was to improve the results in an academic course and to motivate the students to study and do their homework. The intention is to increase students' motivation towards Mathematics.
3) Escape Room is based on the discovery of cooperative techniques in the classroom. It includes mysteries, challenges and missions prepared to be solved using cooperative learning techniques. These missions must be completed by the students in order to win a combination of locks that open a box where they will find The Force.
4) Land of Maths is an application that consists of learning mathematics through a game. The main objective is to increase the motivation towards mathematics of the fourth year students of E.S.O., in order to make them perceive this subject in a more attractive and interesting way. A reward system will be used to ensure continuity and motivation in the game. The participant will receive 10 points for each correct answer and will also earn a badge for each level completed.
5) NOCRIDA consists of designing an application that is based on a series of answers to history questions and thus consolidates the knowledge acquired in a more accurate way. The application focuses specifically on History and will be divided into several sections. Each section will have a summary about a historical stage and after reading this information, questions will be asked about the text to check if the player understood the text. The next level will only be accessible if the player has answered the previous section correctly.
In the case of Turkey, five projects have been developed:
1) "Avatar is inside our emotions" is a study that aims to support social development in children under protection and institutional care. The aim is to develop the ability to distinguish and recognize their feelings, an essential skill in the socio-affective development of children. This social skill is basic to be able to develop more complex social skills. Within the scope of the project, its objective is to design a virtual game based on Theory of Mind Tests. Three phases have been designed to help identify emotions: recognition of emotions through the analysis of a photo of the real face; recognition of emotions through the image of a situation and recognition of emotions according to their own interpretation. Each phase adds the skills acquired in the previous level. Therefore it is not possible to move to the next stage without recognizing emotions correctly in the previous skill level. At the end of the game, the participants filled in a "Game applicability questionnaire" to improve possible problems or difficulties that had arisen.
2) Young volunteer inspectors is a game to teach traffic rules to children in order to improve the children's level of road knowledge and to teach traffic rules to "future drivers".
3) We are Recycling aims to teach methods to direct the waste recyclable materials out of use to the manufacturing process as raw material.
4) Regular Life is a project that aims to teach children through game techniques the ability to take care of themselves.
5) Jigsaw Reading is an activity with students from various groups in Secondary Education. The aim of the project is to promote the reading among young people. The aim is to provide interesting experiences while they are reading and, as a result, to get students into the habit of reading e-books through play. We designed a game with different levels in which students can choose between history, science and literature and read about these topics. Each student will be able to create an avatar. The difficulty of the level will be determined by the age of the student, the content of the e-book and the total number of pages.
In the case of Poland, four projects have been developed:
1) Stay on top is a project that aims to influence the daily habits of students to avoid negative consequences now or in the future. During the game there will be bonuses and surprises to encourage and involve participants in the activity. All the information will be sent through messenger messages to a group on Facebook.
2) I'm OK is a game that aims to reduce negative habits and reinforce positive behaviour in a group of students attending the same class by using gamification methods over a month. Each player receives a figure. A board is hung on the wall which is circular in shape. Each player places his or her figure outside the circle at the same distance as the other players' figures. Every day, each player has a secret friend to look after throughout the day. Each day a player can get one point. In order to get a point and advance on the game board, the player must behave in a positive way (the list of positive behaviours will hang next to the game board) towards their secret friend. Examples of positive behaviour: helping, smiling, giving kind words, drawing nice pictures for the special person. The aim of the game is to get to the centre of the circle on the game board. During the game there are many challenges and surprises to be discovered by the players. The monitor examined the results of the activity by observing the pupils during the game, the comments of the teachers and the opinions of the pupils before and after the application of the game.
3) World of Silence, Education is a project that aims to motivate deaf people to learn the Polish language. The main goal, however, is to create an application in order to impact on deaf people and to create tools that can be useful for them in the future.
4) Real Beauty is Inner Beauty is a project designed to help deaf students change their ways of acting and also to promote tolerance, kindness and empathy. The player chooses a favourite famous character photo (e.g. actress, hero, sportsman, etc.). The photos are printed in A4 size. The photo representing the player will be inside an envelope or paper, so that it cannot be seen. Every day, each player can receive points from players depending on their behaviour. Each player will have their own personalised picture, painted in different colours to accumulate points from other players. Different emotions are reflected: + positive, - negative. Points are awarded anonymously. The player whose picture is discovered first, is the winner. The game will have 4 stages. Each stage gives players a fresh start to get a prize or surprise each week. To verify and evaluate the impact of the game on the group during and after the activities, the following tools were used: interviews with each student/player, box to be able to express their emotions, to verify the general mood of the class, "hot chairs", individual interviews with the player at the end of each gamification stage according to the catalogue of questions, for example: How do you feel in the class? Is there anyone with whom you don't get along? Do you have friends in the class?
In the case of Italy, five projects have been developed:
1) Sport and physics. That's the game! is an App Game for mobile devices with different levels, in which they present several problems on physics topics applied to a common situation that can occur in several sports, for example, the calculation of the power and the angle of hit that a football player needs to score a penalty kick in the final of the World Cup 2018 and win the World Cup. Similar to a normal video game, there are several levels to overcome: solve some problems, win coins and points, which give you the opportunity to continue playing and win your tournament.
2) Emergency Room - Online First Aid Course is a mobile application with a course that teaches the main First Aid procedures, in situations where the difficulty increases progressively, using elements of the game and gamification. Knowing the First Aid protocoles and procedures is important to respond to any emergency or situation, especially among students and young people.
3) Citizen of the world is an application for mobile devices that uses the basic elements of gamification to motivate students and young people to learn languages and get to know cultures in order to be citizens in this globalised world.
4) Dante for Grammar is an application for mobile devices that uses the basic elements of gamification to motivate students and young people to learn languages and get to know cultures in order to be citizens in this globalised world.
5) Learn Languages with ICT is a project that consists in facilitating the students' courses with a website or an application for mobile devices that uses the traditional gamification elements to improve the knowledge of the English language.
1. METODOLOGICAL GUIDE SPANISH
2. METODOLOGICAL GUIDE ENGLISH
3. METODOLOGICAL GUIDE TURKISH
METODOLOGICAL GUIDE ITALIAN
METODOLOGICAL GUIDE POLISH
PRESS AND MEDIA
7. GRAPHIC MATERIAL OF THE YOUTH WORKERS
8. AGENDA MULTIPLIER EVENT
This project has been fundamental for AIDEJOVEN, as it encourages young people at risk of social exclusion to feel that they are the protagonists of a European project and to propose training that can be useful for their future work. We want to give young people with fewer opportunities, due to economic or social difficulties, as well as young immigrants or other young people who are in a situation of vulnerability, the opportunity to participate.